The Carol Martin Gatton Academy of Mathematics and Science in Kentucky at WKU
seeks qualified candidates for the position of Residential Counselor.
The Gatton Academy is a public residential STEM school, established and
funded by the Kentucky legislature, on the campus of Western Kentucky
University. Students complete their last two years of high school and
earn at least 60 hours of college credit.The Gatton Academy was ranked
as the most outstanding public high school in the United States by
Newsweek/The Daily Beast in 2012, 2013, 2014 and was one of three
finalists in the 2012 Intel Schools of Distinction for high schools in
science. This is a 10-month position, with anticipated start date of
August 6, 2018. This position reports to the Assistant Director of
Residential Life. Gatton Academy staff and administrators are employees
of Western Kentucky University.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The following duties are customary for this position, but are
not to be construed as all-inclusive. Duties may be added, deleted,
and assigned based on management discretion and institutional needs. This is a residential position.
- Creates and manages a safe, healthy, and nurturing living/learning environment within the residence hall.
- Develops a supportive community consistent with the Academy's creed of Integrity, Compassion, Respect, Equality, and Diversity through creative educational, cultural, social, and recreational programming.
- Advises, counsels, and seeks to develop students through individual interactions and by creating and sustaining a supportive living environment.
- Provides appropriate support and referrals for students during emotional and physical crises.
- Provides academic support services in coordination with other Academy staff, and serves on the Academic Success Team.
- Provides leadership and supervision on Academy study abroad trips.
- Monitors and documents student progress in academics and personal growth.
- Serves as an advisor and liaison for clubs and activities.
- Provides on-call support to students on a rotation basis.
- Creating a Supportive Learning Environment
- Collaborate with all Academy Residential Counselors and staff to create and sustain a community that fosters student learning, independence, and academic success.
- Establish rapport and develop mentoring relationships with students.
- Live on student wing in the Academy and serves as a role model/mentor in all areas of personal, relational, and academic life.
- Play an integral role acclimating students to the Academy in student orientation week.
- Transport students in University owned or rented vehicles.
- Implement Academy initiatives, particularly those focused on student retention.
- Administrative or Managerial Functions
- Maintain and oversee wing programming and supply budget.
- Assess the efficacy of programs and activities.
- Report and keep record of maintenance and security issues within the wing.
- Communicate regularly with parents in support of students and to foster parental involvement in the academy.
- Provide day-to-day intervention and crisis response.
- Collaborate with housekeeping and facilities staff to maintain a living environment conducive to learning.
- Staff and support the front desk as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills Considered Essential for Success:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective leadership, mentorship, and organizational skills.
- Ability to make sound, ethical decisions in times of crises.
- Willingness to serve as a role model for students in work ethic, attitude, and respect for others.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience working in residential life at the secondary or post-secondary level as hall director, residential assistant, desk clerk, or similar position.
- Must be 21 years of age or older with a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to reside in a dorm room on a single-gender wing of the Gatton Academy.
Compensation and Benefits:
- 10-month contract paid over a 12-month period
- Partially furnished dormroom with cable, internet service, utilities, local phone service (fair market value of approximately $10,000 per year). Room use is restricted to the employee.
- Professional development within the Academy and the University at-large.
- Salary range of $23,078 to $25,000 annually, with benefits package including options for medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, retirement plan, partial University tuition waiver, University Bookstore discount, and reduced price membership to the University's health and fitness facility. (Salary grade 105)
Kentucky state law requires all public institutions of postsecondary education to conduct pre-employment criminal background checks to determine suitability for employment.
Western Kentucky University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, religion, veteran status, or marital status in admission to career and technical education programs and/or activities, or employment practices in accordance with Title VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Revised 1992, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
Persons with disabilities, who need reasonable accommodations to participate in the application and/or selection process, should notify The Office of Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action/University ADA Services at (270) 745 - 5121, a minimum of five working days in advance.
The following items must be submitted through this electronic talent management system:
- Cover Letter
You will receive email confirmation that your submission has been received. The candidate review process will generally begin as materials are received. The expected start date is August 16, 2018; however, the review process will continue until all residential counselor positions are filled.